11. SINIFLAR İNGİLİZCE DERSİ 1. DÖNEM 2. ORTAK YAZILI SINAVIDIR
Name – Surname :________________________________ Date : 31.12.2018
Class – Number : 11/________-____________________ Point : __________
A- ) Read the biography of Aziz Sancar and answer the questions (Aziz Sancar’ın biyografisini okuyarak soruları cevaplayınız) (5×3=15 p)
Aziz Sancar was born in Mardin in 1946. He was born into a poor, crowded family. He had a very difficult life when he was a child. His parents had no education but considered education important for their children. He studied in a small town until university. He successfully graduated from medical faculty of Istanbul University. He did his medical practice in poor conditions. Then, he won Tubitak scholarship to study biochemistry in the USA. He studied at the University of Texas, Dallas, where he received his doctorate in 1977. He specialized in DNA repair. He won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2015.
Now, he is a professor at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. He is married to Gwen Boles Sancar who also is a professor in biochemistry and biophysics.
1. Where was Aziz Sancar born? ____________________________________________________________________
2. Did his parents have education? ___________________________________________________________________
3. Which university did he graduate? _________________________________________________________________
4. When did he receive his doctorate?_________________________________________________________________
5. Who is he married to? ___________________________________________________________________________
A- ) Match the related sentences with the words (Cümlelerle kelimeleri eşleştiriniz) (5×2=10 p)
1. Because of the economic crisis, millions of people became extremely poor. a. Racism
2. Thomas Edison made unsuccessful attempts before he invented the light bulb. b. Illiteracy
3. Black people didn’t use to have equal rights with white people c. Failure
4. Athletes with different physical problems have taken part in the Paralympic Games d. Poverty
5. We should reduce the number of people who are unable to read and write. e. Disability
B- ) Fill in the blanks using the words below (Aşağıdaki kelimelerle boşlukları doldurunuz) (5×2=10p)
ordinary / diligent / big hearted / privileged / significant
My primary school teacher is a(n) ________________________figure of my childhood. I was ________________ to be one of her students. As you can guess, she wasn’t a(n) ____________________ teacher at all. Besides being a(n) _________________ mother, she was also a gifted person. She could play the piano very well. She always surprised us in her classes. Sometimes she sang, sometimes she danced but always taught well. Thanks to her, I am a(n) ________________________ learner.
A. Put the verbs in brackets into the simple past or the past continuous tenses. (Boşlukları S. Past (V2) veya Past Continuous Tense (was/were Ving) ile doldurunuz) (10×2=20 p)
1. The car____________________________ (go) fast when it __________________________(hit) the pole.
2. Just as I ___________________________(wear) my contact lenses, I_______________________ (drop) one of them.
3. Who _____________ you__________________ (talk) to when I _________________________ (call) you?
4. While my father _____________________ (read) his newspaper, my mother __________________________ (iron) the clothes.
5. When the electricity_______________________(go off), the lift ________________________(stop).
B – ) Choose the correct option (Doğru seçeneği işaretleyiniz) (5×2=10 p)
1. Did you ___________________________ an eating disorder when you were a child?
a. used to have b. use to had c. use to have
2. I learned how to avoid things that ___________________________me before.
a. used to stress b. use to stress c. used to stressing
3. My grandmother ____________________________ positive when she went through a difficult time.
a. didn’t used to stay b. use to stay c. used to stay
4. Before I started doing yoga, I __________________________ that every cloud has a silver lining.
a. didn’t used to believe b. didn’t use to believe c. didn’t use to believed
5. Who ………………………… for help when you couldn’t find a solution by yourself?
a. did you use to ask b. did you used to basked c. were you use to ask
C – ) Fill in the blanks using S. Past or Past Perfect Tenses. (Boşlukları S. Past (V2) veya Past Perfect Tense (Had+V3) ile doldurunuz) (10×2=20 p)
1. After Jason _________________ (spend) his twenty years studying on DNA, he _________________ (devote) himself to save lives.
2. Fred_____________________ (phone) his wife at work before he ___________________(leave) for his trip to Paris.
3. Her family __________________ (publish) her last book after she ______________________(die) in an accident.
4. When she ______________________ (come) to the class, the lesson _______________________ ( start).
5. By the time the ambulance _________________________(arrive), the injured man____________________ (die) of bleeding.
A -) Compare your life 10 years ago and present life. Write 5 sentences. (10 yıl önceki hayatınızla şimdiki hayatınızı karşılaştırın.) (5×3:15p.)
Ex. I used to drink milk 10 years ago but now I drink coffee.