Pre-intermediate Test 3
– Past Simple – Past Continuous
– Irregular verbs – Linking words
1. I was born in Africa _____ 1970.
A) on B) at C) in C) last
2. My parents moved back to England _____ I was five.
A) when B) ago C) * D) for
3. We lived in Bristol _____ three years.
A) last B) for C) at D) *
4. I left college three years _____.
A) nothing B) ago C) for D) in
5. I found a flat on my own _____ last year.
A) at B) for C) * D) on
6. I usually go home _____ the weekend.
A) in B) when C) at B) of
7. I didn’t go home ____ weekend because some friends came to stay.
A) for B) last C) * D) at
8. They arrived _____ three o’clock _____ the afternoon.
A) at / in B) in / for C) when / ago D) last / *
9. _____ Saturday evening we went out to a concert.
A) Last B) In C) For D) On
10. _____ we got home we listened to some music.
A) For B) Last C) Last D) When
11. We got up late _____ Sunday morning.
A) * B) at C) on D) in
12. _____ the afternoon we went for a walk.
A) At B) For C) On D) In
13. I bought a car a few weeks _____.
A) last B) when C) ago D) for
14. I had an accident _____ last night.
A) in B) * C) on D) at
15. It happened _____ seven o’clock _____ the evening.
A) when / * B) in / at C) at / last D) at / in
16. I took my car to the garage _____ this morning.
A) in B) when C) * D) at
17. It will be ready _____ two weeks.
A) * B) in C) on D) for
18. I _____ a friend while I _____ the shopping
A) was meeting / did B) met / was doing
C) meet / do D) met / did
19. I _____ for my things when I ____ someone call my name.
A) paid / was hearing B) pay / heard
C) was paying / hear D) was paying / heard
20. I _____ round and _____ Paula.
A) turned / saw B) was turning/ was seeing
C) turn / was seeing D) was turning / saw
21. She _____ a bright red coat yesterday.
A) wore B) was wearing
C) wear D) was wear
22. We _____ to have a cup of coffee.
A) decided B) were deciding
C) decides D) will deciding
23. While we _____ a drink, a waiter _____ a pile of plates.
A) had / was dropping B) have / dropped
C) have / drop D) were having / dropped
24. We all _____ a terrible shock.
A) were getting B) gets
C) getting D) got
25. While the waiter _____ up the broken plates, he _____ his finger.
A) picked / was cutting B) was picking / cut
C) pick / cut D) picks / cut
This morning I __(26)__ to work. I __(27)__ to go by bus because the sun __(28)__. While I __(29)__ past the supermarket, I __(30)__ something strange. A man __(31)__ near me and he __(32)__ a song very loudly on his own! He __(33)__ for a few minutes. Then he __(34)__ a friend and he __(35)__ singing.
26. A) was walking B) walked C) walk D) walking
27. A) didn’t want B) wasn’t wanting
C) don’t want D) am not wanting
28. A) shone B) is shining C) was shining D) shines
29. A) walked B) am walking C) was walked D) was walking
30. A) was seeing B) saw C) am seeing D) see
31. A) passed B) was passing C) pass D) passes
32. A) sang B) sing C) was singing D) song
33. A) was continuing B) continues
C) is continuing D) continued
34. A) will met B) met C) was meeting D) meet
35. A) was stopping B) stop
C) stopped D) is stopping
36. I _____ a very good program on TV last night.
A) was seeing B) see C) am seeing D) saw
37. While I _____ this morning, I _____ my money. I don’t know how.
A) shopped / lose B) was shopping / lost
C) shopped / was losing D) shop / lose
38. Last week the police _____ Alan in his car because he _____ over
eighty miles an hour.
A) were stopping / was driving
B) stop / drived
C) stopped / was driving
D) was stopping / drove
39. How _____ your finger?
A) are you cutting B) were you cutting
C) did you cut D) you cut
40. I _____ and I _____ the knife.
A) cooked / was dropping B) cook / drop
C) was cooking / dropped D) cooked / dropped
41. When I _____ at the party, everyone _____ a good time.
A) was arriving / had B) arrived / was having
C) arrived / had D) arrived / were having
42. _____ a good time last night?
A) Did you have B) Were you having
C) Will you have D) Are you having
43. While I _____ to work this morning I _____ an old friend.
A) went / meet B) am going / met
C) go / was meeting D) was going / met
44. I _____ to get up this morning. It _____ and it was cold, and my bed
was so warm.
A) don’t want / is raining B) am not wanting / rains
C) wasn’t wanting / rained D) didn’t want / was raining
45. I _____ to the news on the radio when the phone _____.
A) listened / was ringing B) am listening / was ringing
C) was listening / rang D) listen / is ringing
46. But when I _____ up the phone, there was no one there.
A) pick B) am picking C) picked D) was picking
47. I _____ hello to the children, but they didn’t say anything because
they _____ television.
A) say / watched B) said / were watching
C) was / saying D) said / watched
48. What _____ at 8.00 last night?
A) did you do B) you did
C) were you doing D) are you doing
49. We played tennis _____ two hours.
A) during B) while C) nothing D) for
50. I worked on a farm _____ the holidays.
A) for B) since C) while D) on
PRE-INTERMEDIATE Test: 3
1-C 2-A 3-B 4-B 5-C 6-C 7-B 8-A 9-D 10-D 11-C 12-D 13-C 14-B 15-D 16-C 17-B 18-B 19-D 20-A 21-B 22-A 23-D 24-D 25-B 26-B 27-A 28-C 29-D 30-B 31-B 32-C 33-D 34-B 35-C 36-D 37-B 38-C 39-C 40-C 41-B 42-A 43-D 44-D 45-C 46-C 47-B 48-C 49-D 50-D